The Current Record
On April 21st, 2013, then 55-years-old Susie Hewer ran the Virgin London Marathon in 5:54:23 while knitting a scarf 2.05 metres (6 feet 8 inches) long. This was Mrs. Hewer's 3rd marathon scarf. She knits and runs to raise awarness and funds for Alzheimer's research in the UK. A link to Mrs. Hewer's blog about her run
The Record Attempt
David's application for an official record attempt with Guinness World Records has been accepted. Claim ID #432480. The record attempt requires the following:
- Start knitting after crossing the starting line.
- Size 15 US needles max (10mm).
- 30 stitches per row, garter stitch.
- Complete the marathon in under 6 hours.
- Beat the 2.05 meter length.
- Videotape the entire attempt.
- Witnesses present the whole time.
- Official to measure the final length of scarf and number of stitches.